Saturday, March 17, 2012

How to clean your grout

I am embarrassed to even show the before pictures, but I spent hours researching, hours cleaning, and then hours cleaning up from the cleaning product.  More on that later.  I have to tell you how this all began.  When Russell and I bought our house, we saw things we did not like and thought, "We can change that".  Our biggest dislike in the entire home was the kitchen.  The tiles were so light, the grout showed dirt so easily, and the cabinets are....not our taste.  After living in the house for 2 years, we realized the kitchen is staying for now.  It is expensive to renovate, so we decided a good wipe down would be best.
I decided one day that I COULD NOT look at our nasty grout any longer.  I began to research on the DIY blogs about what worked.  This lead me to the Clorox Pen.  This little pen works GREAT.  Seriously.  But at about 3 dollars a pen, it was going to cost me about 50 dollars to do our kitchen and bathrooms.  I then found out about Oxyclean.  You know... from those really cheesy commercials.
 
  I read that this stuff really works.  So, for 8 dollars, I bought the biggest one I could find.  The pen worked great, but this stuff was working miracles.  I spent 2 days cleaning the grout.  The reason it was taking so long was I had mixed the solution into about 4 times the recommended strength.  Oops. 
Well, it worked, but the whole house had white footprints everywhere from where I would mop and then spread the cleaner.  It has been about 2 weeks and I still see a few spots that I need to mop again.  I will let the before and after pictures speak for themselves.  Do not judge me.  We are clean people, but come on....how often do you clean your grout?????  

The before:

From March 17, 2012
The After:
 
From March 17, 2012
Long story short...Oxyclean works.  Billy Mays knew what he was talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment